PwC Adds External Directors to Its U.S. Board
PwC U.S. recently announced the addition of two external directors to its Board, a first in the firm’s history. The two new Board members are Carol Pottenger and Carlos Gutierrez. Pottenger, a U.S. Navy veteran with 36 years of active service, was the first female Admiral to combat a major combat organization and one of the first women to serve at sea. Her final assignment was with NATO, serving as the senior U.S. Flag Officer responsible for military transformation. Pottenger currently serves on defense, advisor and nonprofit boards.
Gutierrez, a former U.S. Commerce Secretary under President George W. Bush, is co-chair of the Albright Stonebridge Group and has nearly 30 years of experience with Kellogg Company serving in various roles including CEO. He also serves on the boards of Occidental Petroleum Corporation, MetLife and Time Warner.
Manufacturing CPAs Elects President
Mueller Prost CPAs + Business Advisors recently announced that Mike Devereux, Partner and Director of Manufacturing, Distribution and Plastics Industry Services, has been named Manufacturing CPAs’ Member of the Year and elected to serve as the group’s President. Devereux was recognized for his leadership on the group’s executive committee, participation on the planning committee, his commitment to U.S. manufacturing and his willingness to share best practices. In his role as President, Devereux will be responsible for leading and working with the executive committee to form the strategic objectives of Manufacturing CPAs and ensure the association fulfills its mission. He has been with Mueller Prost for 15 years where he works with manufacturing clients to claim federal and state tax incentives. Devereux regularly contributes to national publications and speaks around the country on tax regulations.
BillingTree Adds New CFO Role and Senior Appointments
BillingTree® recently announced the appointment of Bryan Schreiber, CPA as Chief Financial Officer, Kathy Baker as Director of Risk and Underwriting and Steve Recchia as Director of Sales. In his new role, Schreiber will oversee the company’s expansion plans to spearhead growth and drive revenue in new and existing focus markets. He has more than 25 years of finance and accounting experience.
Baker has more than 20 years of merchant acquiring experience and will oversee the risk management and underwriting teams at BillingTree. In her previous roles, she developed the company’s Risk and Security strategy.
Recchia will lead the BillingTree Sales and Account Management Team and help accelerate growth in key markets.
Grant Thornton Adds Managing Director
Grant Thornton LLP recently announced the addition of Simon Moss as a managing director in its Financial Services Advisory practice. Moss has 30 years of experience, which includes serving in leadership roles, working with services and technology startups and turning around and monetizing distressed companies. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Hull and has held board director roles at C6 Intelligence, Qumas and Lumigent Technologies.
NYSSCPA Appoints New Officers and Board Members
The New York State Society of CPAS recently announced the appointment of the following officers and board members:
- President: Harold L. Deiters III, CPA, CFF, CFE, MAFF, CGMA, Partner, Baker Tilly
- President-Elect: Jan C. Herringer, Partner, BDO USA, LLP
- Secretary/Treasurer: Anthony T. Abboud, Principal, Firley, Moran, Freer & Eassa, CPA, P.C.
- Vice Presidents
- Paul E. Becht, Partner, Margolin, Winer & Evens LLP
- John B. Huttlinger, Jr., Owner, Adirondack Audit Company Inc.
- Mitchell J. Mertz, Director of Quality Assurance, Wei Wei & Co., LLP
- Candice R. Meth, Partner, EisnerAmper LLP
- Incoming Directors of the Board:
- Anthony S. Chan, President, CA Global Consulting Inc.
- Mark L. Farber, Owner, Mark L. Farber CPA PC
- Craig T. Goodman, Director, Professional Standards Group, Marks Paneth LLP
- Kimberly G. Johnson, Partner, KPMG LLP
- Mark M. Ulrich, Director and faculty member, St. John’s University
- Jennifer R. George, Partner, RBT CPAs, LLP
- Douglas L. Hoffman, Partner, Hoffman Eells & Gray CPAs, P.C.
- Lynne M. Fuentes, Partner, Fuentes & Angel CPAs LLC
- William H. Dresnack, Associate Professor, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Dennis N. Annarumma, Executive Director, Ernst & Young LLP
- Thomas S. Pirro, President, Thomas S. Pirro, CPA, P.C.
Deiters steps in as President as the NYSSCPA pushes for legislation that would require peer reviews for all New York-based CPA firms, something only medium and large size firms have been required to do by law since 2011. Also under Deiters, the NYSSCPA will launch a new 501(c)(3) organization, The Moynihan Scholarship Fund, to help advance its fundraising capabilities for its educational and career advancement programs for high school and college students. This fund has existed since 2015, but will now be established as a separate charity.
Bill.com CEO Named Entrepreneur of the Year® 2017
Ernst & Young recently announced that René Lacerte, CEO of Bill.com received the Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2017 Award in Financial Services for his commitment to innovation and development within the company and local community. Lacerte has more than 20 years of experience in financial services, technology and payments. He founded and launched the nation’s first and largest online payroll solution, PayCycle, which was eventually sold to Intuit in 2009.